Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Writing Economics

I've decided that to be true to my Blog--snort--I should do a morning warm up to my writing pages. Preferably to wake me up, so I wouldn't expect much coherence if I were you. Particularly since I'm not a person known for deep thought. I mean, let's face it, I'm no Nostradamus. Though some mornings I'm a good Nosferatu-clone. At any rate, I've gotten the child off to school with his ever so friendly super bus driver and I'm now at my writing spot, Mimi's Place, where I somehow find regular inspiration for near ten pages a visit.

It's my philosophy that sometimes you just can't buy pages at home. It's too easy to see what you COULD be doing if you were a decent mother--laundry, bills, vacuuming...sleeping. Good lord, sometimes you just want SO badly to go back to sleep. But if you're going to schlep your ugly backside out the door, hauling a half asleep kid behind you to throw them on a bus, you might as well go for the gold and take your knappy head on across the street to the diner and get something done. I stay for 2-3 hours and generally get about 10 pages done. That's a rough draft in a month and that my friends is worth paying for. Since I get endless tea and occasionally some toast or food, that runs to renting a table for about a dollar an hour. And, you can write it off as a business expense, which can't be said of making your own damn tea in your own damn kitchen and not getting a damn thing done.

Now I know some people can write just fine at home. Some people probably clean their desk and are really good about not giving into the dark side--ie: going online to play games or talk to others who should be writing but aren't because they've given in too. But I'm learning that sometimes being stern to myself means making other people make my breakfast and give it to me with a smile. Sure beats making it myself and wishing it were edible. Now if I could just find a way to turn shopping into a tax deductible, full service, progessive to my plans as a future author franchise, I might find myself liking that too. But that might be another blog.

All in all, I've decided that I'm also going to post my few writing tips here. Possibly a few book reports, when I come across the one that moves me to do more than read with glazed eyes until it's done and I'm satisfied. We'll see how it goes, Blog Fans. :) We'll see how it goes.

1 comment:

Dee Tenorio said...

LOL, I should have known you would be on the dark side, Lorie. LOL! You're always on the dark side!

Dee